Mucuna Pruriens also call dog claw bean, the seed of Stizolobium cochinchin ensis (Lour). Tang et Wang. Seed capsule is black or off-white. This species plant is abundantly grows in tropic and sub-tropic area in China, Guangxi also have widely growth. Its main effective ingredient is levodopa. Levodopa is mainly use in treatment of parkinsonism, liver stupor, fracture, neuralgia etc
Mucuna Pruriens, also known as Cowhage, and velvet bean contains a very powerful neurotransmitter pre-cursor L-dopa. Mucuna pruriens is a reputed remedy of Ayurveda in nervous and sexual diseases. Traditionally, Mucuna pruriens is commonly used as carminative, hypertensive and hypoglycemic agent. Mucuna pruriens has been found to contain L-dopa, Studies in experimental model show L-dopa also helps in the reduction of cholesterol and blood sugar levels. L-dopa is a chemical that is made and used as part of the normal biology of some animals and plants. Some animals including humans make l-dopa via biosynthesis from the amino acid L-tyrosine. L-dopa is the precursor to the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine collectively known as catecholamines. L-dopa can be manufactured and in its pure form is sold as a psychoactive drug with the l-dopa; trade names include Sinemet, Parcopa, Atamet, Stalevo, Madopar, Prolopa, etc. As a drug, L-dopa is used in the clinical treatment of Parkinson's disease and dopamine-responsive dystonia.
- Mucuna pruriens is a shrub which uses it vines as support to climb and grow. When Mucuna pruriens are young they are covered with hair which disappears as the plant gets old.
- The leaves of Mucuna pruriens are of various shapes like ovate, tripinnate and rhombus shape.
- The tips of the leaves are pointed and the sides are grooved. When the Mucuna pruriens plants are young, you can find hairs on both sides of the leaves.
- The plant grows well in tropical areas of India, West Indies and Africa.
- There are many regions in Africa where the quality of the soil is degraded because of intensified agriculture. Mucuna pruriens grows in these areas to weed out infestation and restore soil fertility.
- The main constituent of Mucuna pruriens seeds is L-dopa or Levadopa which acts as a natural dopamine. However, L-dopa seems to be ineffective in the long-term treatment of diseases.
- There are many people who use Mucuna pruriens seeds for treatment of Parkinsons disease.
- Most people must be aware that Parkinsons disease is age-related nervous disorder which affects the brain of the person.
- Dopamine is known to be effective in treatment of Parkinsons disease.
- However, dopamine cannot be administered directly as it cannot cross the blood barrier of the brain.
- L-dopa in Mucuna pruriens beans acts as natural dopamine and can access the brain where it gets converted into dopamine.
- When doses of Mucuna pruriens beans were administered to people suffering from Parkinsons disease, there was considerable reduction in symptoms of Parkinsons disease.